I just finished a book called "What we keep" by Elizabeth Berg. I have never followed an author before. I usually just read whatever I stumble on, something a friend recommends or a book I hear about. But I simply LOVE Elizabeth Berg. I have probably read 5-6 books of hers. I am getting worried that soon I will run out of new ones to read! lol
"What we keep" is a book about a woman, remembering her childhood. A mostly happy one, growing up with her sister. But it is also about how differently you see and feel things as a child, compared to how you see and feel things as an adult. Maya Angelou said "You did then what you knew how to do. And when you knew better, you did better". I took that saying and held it in my heart the first time I heard it. It's amazing how hard we (I) are on ourselves for past mistakes. When God has already forgiven us (me), we refuse to forgive ourselves! Most of the time the people we have hurt have also forgiven us (me), whether or not we have even asked!! I guess it's just easier for me to forgive myself for terrible mistakes and also little ones, when I can say "I did what I knew how to do at that time". Forgiving YOURSELF, loving who you are and HOW YOU GOT TO BE WHO YOU ARE is a wonderful thing!
Karrigan has the most precious spirit!! I hate that she is afraid to show her sensitive, caring side proudly! Kennedy drinks a high calorie drink every morning, because she rarely eats breakfast. On the way to school, out of the blue Karrigan said "I want to take one of Kennedy's drinks to school but I don't know if I'm allowed". I asked why (they are gross). She went on to tell me about a girl who refuses to eat the school food. The teachers try everything to get her to eat but she refuses. Karrigan said the girl tries to eat but always takes the food back out of her mouth. I asked why the girl doesn't pack a lunch. Karrigan answered that she doesn't have money. I asked how she knows that. She said the girl TOLD her they don't have money/food and she gets free lunch from school. She went on to say that the girl only speaks to the kids when they speak to her first, that she is terribly shy. I told Karrigan to casually ask the girl if she likes peanut butter and jelly. How easy would it be to send a sandwich every day?? I love Karrigan and that she notices things like this. Not only that she notices, but that she wants to DO something about it!!! I do that as well, it's both a blessing and a burden. A burden when you can do nothing but want to do everything.
Have a great day!!
Karrigan has the most precious spirit!! I hate that she is afraid to show her sensitive, caring side proudly! Kennedy drinks a high calorie drink every morning, because she rarely eats breakfast. On the way to school, out of the blue Karrigan said "I want to take one of Kennedy's drinks to school but I don't know if I'm allowed". I asked why (they are gross). She went on to tell me about a girl who refuses to eat the school food. The teachers try everything to get her to eat but she refuses. Karrigan said the girl tries to eat but always takes the food back out of her mouth. I asked why the girl doesn't pack a lunch. Karrigan answered that she doesn't have money. I asked how she knows that. She said the girl TOLD her they don't have money/food and she gets free lunch from school. She went on to say that the girl only speaks to the kids when they speak to her first, that she is terribly shy. I told Karrigan to casually ask the girl if she likes peanut butter and jelly. How easy would it be to send a sandwich every day?? I love Karrigan and that she notices things like this. Not only that she notices, but that she wants to DO something about it!!! I do that as well, it's both a blessing and a burden. A burden when you can do nothing but want to do everything.
Have a great day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment