Hello there! Long time no type! :) Ok, so it seems everytime I blog I have so much to say that you only get the short version. This time will be no different. We went through a round of illnesses with the kids. Nolan and Reagan had a stomach bug. Karrigan had what I think was the flu. Reagan and Mac had nasty respiratory/sinus infections. Mac caught some virus that gave him high fever for several days. It's been yucky! But I'm very happy to report that everyone is healthy now!
Nolan is playing in basketball playoffs, that is a lot of fun. They won their first game (it's double elimination), tonight is their second game.
Randy had a CWF show last weekend, it was a good one. Big crowd, standing room only. If you haven't already, check out their website http://www.christianwrestling.com/ or look them up on facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ChristianWrestlingFederation .
Report cards come home tomorrow. We'll see who is rewarded and who is grounded for a month. lol KIDDING!
Our week of Spring Break is looking pretty full and pretty fun!! Usually we do a lot of nothing! So this will be a nice change. I hope it doesn't spoil the kids though. Next year will likely be back to nothing.
I have some really sweet pictures of Markus on my phone, I will get them on the computer soon and add them to the blog.
I've had an interesting discussion on facebook. What do YOU think?? Don't be scared, I love to hear different views.
What do you think about throwing around the word "retard" or "retarded"? Offensive? Ok....go.....
Heather N don't like the word...
Candice Carpenter I don't mind it. It's not something I say DAILY. But it doesn't strike a nerve with me the way it does other "special needs moms".
Christine M I use to say it all the time but now that I'm older and have Zoe I tell my kids not to say it. Kids use it in a mean way and I cringe when I hear kids say it around us.
Jaimie W We do use it being silly. I find it more offsensive when used referring to a special needs child or adult. I'm not a special needs Mother, so maybe I am not at liberty to say what would be more offensive? But you asked, Ha!! :)
Gayle T I say it
Jessica M I think those who take it offensively when being used in a joking way need to get a life! It is part of our society, and isn't meant to do harm. Now if you were referencing someone with a disability then I could see it being taken offensively, but I also look at the person saying it, they are probably uneducated and Retarded themselves! (and I am a mother of a special needs child)
Bobby W "you do not call a retarded person a retard...you call your FRIEND a retard when they are ACTING retarded"" I have no quams about using the term to make fun of someone when they do something dumb...but I find it unacceptable to make fun of anyone for ANYTHING they cant help,
Carlos Q If it can be taken out of context then I prefer just not to use any of those words.
Holley T So if it's not okay to say you are "retarded", can I say you are "gay"? Hmmmmm.....
Candice Carpenter Well... I guess I dont mind because I would never call a retarded person, retarded. LoL Honestly, I dont even hear that word in the medical circle! Dont call CPS, but I call my kids dork, freak, goober, etc. I have never ONCE thought they took it as anything but being silly. ANY word, said with hatred, can be ugly or insulting.
Bobby W homosexuals are gay! lol....sorry I like the double meanings that state the obvious...
Candice Carpenter Bobby is sooooo gay!
Bobby W Im Gayness personified....wait...I mean GREATNESS personified...GREATNESS!!
Randy Carpenter It's ritard!!!
Colleen P I know that any use of the word "retard" can hurt someone with cognitive disabilities or that person's family and friends. That's why I don't use the word in any context. There are plenty of words out there, and if using that word hurts someone, it doesn't hurt the rest of us at all to stop using it.
Candice Carpenter Randy, you most certainly are a ritard, no matter how this turns out!
Keith P The words are very offensive when used as insults... whether offense is "meant" or not
Philip B your a retard! Jk. love ya
Candice Carpenter Shut up, gay Phil!
Donna H Candice... I love you, and Im not gay or retarded. but thanks for all the smiles from these comments.
Candice Carpenter Oh Donna, I think WE will be the judge of that!
Candice Carpenter What about "nerd"?
Philip B I'm pretty sure my wife and kids prove I'm not gay. On second thought, that's what my uncle thought too and he was gay.
Donna H LOL Candice, dont judge me.
Brigette R Anastasia doesn't like that word when she hears it. She would never use the R word in public though she kills us here calling us all retards,lol. And if she hears anyone using the R word she jumps on it. She's got double standards. :p
Keith P It's the disability equivilent to the "N" word... The only difference is that more people seem to think that it is still OK to use the "R" word.
Brigette R I was watching a show a few nights ago, not sure which one, and one of the ladies said that someone was retarded. It caught me off guard because i don't usually (ever) hear anyone saying that in public. Honestly, to me, i feel it just means someone's being silly stupid or acting crazy. But i know for others it means something far deeper. So that's why i don't say it. People could say that Charlie Sheen is acting retarded right now. Actually, no, he's not even silly... he's just crazy.
Candice Carpenter I LOVE the discussion!! It's the way everyone should work things out..TALKING.
Ok, so how about when someone can't find something and you ask "What are you BLIND?"? Or when someone isn't listening and you ask "Are you DEAF or something?..."? Or how about calling someone crazy? What about when someone asks you to get something for them and you say "You have LEGS!"? LOL Call my Grandpa an "Old Man" in a hateful manner in front of me and I may cut you!!! (I'm kidding people). Do you see what I mean? So much of what we say can be offensive if used at the wrong time or place or with the wrong person. My 11 year old hates being called short!! And she is very average! lol Having been the mom of a special needs child for over 14 years, growing in life experience, being the mother of 5 now (3 who are not typical), and wanting to live a Christ-like life...I think that while we feel other people should be considerate and mindful of us, we should also be tolerant of other people. We don't have to take EVERYTHING so personally. I desperately want to raise my children to be kind and thoughtful to everyone!!! If that was how all children were raised, I think words would just be words and not insults. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment