My Grandpa died on Sunday. I left for Oklahoma on Friday morning. I got to spend Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning/afternoon with him. He knew me when I got there. He always cries when I first arrive, that tears me UP! He was aware of the people in his room. He would answer yes/no questions, say what was hurting him and short phrases like "love you too". He would watch Fox News with one eye. lol It's fair to say he was never too sick for politics! He started Hospice Saturday and passed Sunday afternoon. He went very peacefully, with my aunt and uncles with him. He was so frail, so tired, so ready for Heaven!! My nephew (Levi) and I talked a lot about Grandpa's passing. I told Levi how strange it is for me to feel my own grief, the heavy coat of sadness, and to know that Grandpa is not sad. Grandpa doesn't miss us! He isn't mourning or dazed, he can't feel sad! He is is HEAVEN! He is with our Lord. He is with his wife and parents, friends and family. He will never want or need anything again!! We should rejoice in that! He also left an AMAZING legacy for his family. When a loved one dies, people tend to remember the good things, to idolize the person and "beef up" their memory, if you will. NO ONE will have to beef up Grandpa's life or legacy. He was the kindest, most gentle, caring, selfless, generous, hard working, loving man I have even known. I never heard him say an unkind word....to anyone!! He honored his God EVERY day. He loved his wife EVERY day and honored her. Do you know how many promises I have ever known Grandpa not to keep? Zero. Do you know how many times I ever heard him raise his voice in anger? Zero. Do you know how many times he "just needed to get away", either from the kids or his wife? Zero. Do you know how many times he let his family down? Zero. It seems "super human", but it's all true. He loved....loved....his family. And we loved him. Like I told Levi, it's our job now to carry on Grandpa's legacy. We now have to make others feel the undeserving, but unwavering love that he made us feel. I imagine I will write a lot more about Grandpa. There is a lot to talk about. :)
Grandpa, I love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment